View Single Post
Old 12-03-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That's a good point. Actually, the other day I started thinking about professional musicians who play my style of music and in similar venues. This includes everything from fairly aggressive strumming to finger picking in fairly loud venues or outdoor shows (think 300-400 in a large pub/venue). I wanted to get a sense of what they use. Not surprisingly, the main pickups were either simple UST's, the Takamine palathetic pickup and the Anthem. The only real exception was the Aura Spectrum DI being used by some and Billy Strings who uses a hybrid K&K/Double Helix set up. Some also use the Sunrise magnetic pickup.

The point is, a lot of these players using IR's, dual source pickups with a SBT/Mic etc., are doing so in venues where this is possible. I tend to see them in solo or duo settings. Once you get into heavy strumming or larger venues with more band members, these more natural pickups just get lost. Even the California Guitar Trio are using the Martin SC-13E guitars live.

I do wish that I liked the Anthem more. There's just something about it that I dislike tonally. I still don't understand why I like the Lyric but not the Anthem.
I wonder if this big venue/loud setting/band mix problem has anything to do with why the Acoustasonic Jazzmaster and the Acoustasonic Player series Tele have a switch position for dry UST and overdriven dry UST signals.

BTW, I couldn't resist pulling the trigger on a NuX Optima Air IR gizmo. Since there doesn't appear to be an actual blend control, I'm thinking that I may have to add in some dry signal through the 1/8" Aux In if I need a drier signal for a loud setting. Oh well, I couldn't resist the (relatively) cheap experiment.