View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Exactly correct. The main problem with this forum is you are getting advice from people that play at home in a vey quiet environment, people that play direct into their DAW AND people that play live at quiet coffee shop gigs AND people that play live at a louder volume. All these are different scenarios and you really need to know who's advice you are getting. Do they play live like me or are they a home recorder like me? Etc. Know the source.
That's a good point. Actually, the other day I started thinking about professional musicians who play my style of music and in similar venues. This includes everything from fairly aggressive strumming to finger picking in fairly loud venues or outdoor shows (think 300-400 in a large pub/venue). I wanted to get a sense of what they use. Not surprisingly, the main pickups were either simple UST's, the Takamine palathetic pickup and the Anthem. The only real exception was the Aura Spectrum DI being used by some and Billy Strings who uses a hybrid K&K/Double Helix set up. Some also use the Sunrise magnetic pickup.

The point is, a lot of these players using IR's, dual source pickups with a SBT/Mic etc., are doing so in venues where this is possible. I tend to see them in solo or duo settings. Once you get into heavy strumming or larger venues with more band members, these more natural pickups just get lost. Even the California Guitar Trio are using the Martin SC-13E guitars live.

I do wish that I liked the Anthem more. There's just something about it that I dislike tonally. I still don't understand why I like the Lyric but not the Anthem.