View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorbs View Post
Regarding picking patterns, as a teacher of fingerstyle guitar, I work with right hand patterns for 2 reasons. First to accompany voice or other instruments, and the only limitation of the pattern used is that it have a similar of complimentary rhythm. The second, is as a stepping stone to getting the right fingers to function individually without the confines of any pattern. Patterns are great to discipline the right hand, and breaking out of the patterns by adding runs or embellishments is the next step toward right hand freedom.
One of my main reasons for this thread is to learn more patterns to accompany singers in the church along with another guitar who plays rhythm. He needs to learn more strumming patterns and I fingerstyle patterns. I would like to know many patterns and how to combine them. I do this some now but not well and limited in choices.
what you said about adding runs or embellshments caught my attention - something I would really like to learn. I am looking for an english speaking teacher here in Thailand. I don't speak Thai well enough to take lessons in Thai. I am on a very slow IP (only one available wherre I live) so U Tube will not download. I have thought of purchasing a book by mail but I don't want to buy the wrong material so I am still looking. So can you recommend what I should buy to study by? Can you also give out some patterns and advice here? Thank you, John