View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M123 View Post
Hi Kh,

Kudos to you for wanting to learn guitar in as comprehensive a way as possible. I wish I had had as strong a drive to learn theory when I was starting out!

That said, I think you may be missing part of what some people have been saying. To go with your tennis analogy - how many instructors would have told you never to play a match until you had fully mastered the fundamentals? I personally can’t imagine spending years practicing strokes, foot placement etc. before actually trying to put them to use for real. Same thing for guitar. Ultimately, it’s all about the music.

Don’t get me wrong - by all means learn all the theory you can. Just balance that with actually making some music, using what you know at the time. Not only will that be more fun, but by trying things and running up against things you don’t yet understand or have the ability to play, you can better understand what you need to study right now. Every stumbling block can become the subject of your next practice session.

In terms of working with an instructor, a couple of thoughts occur. First, not every instructor has a full schedule of students. It may be possible to set up an ad-hoc schedule with one or more teachers, with the understanding that lessons will happen when they are possible for the both of you. Second, it might be possible to set up lessons from long distance, using video conferencing from your laptop. It wouldn’t be the same as being 3 feet away from the instructor, but it might well be better than nothing. I think I have seen references to this sort of thing on some learn guitar-type web-sites. Of course you’d have to take a guitar with you. Only you know if that’s feasible with the traveling you do.

Best of luck, however you decide to proceed!

Dave
Dave....Thank you for the reply. Actually, I don't know if I am missing anything, but actually trying to sort through something.

Back to tennis ....In order to play a match, you have to have fundamentals, but not understand the history of tennis (think music theory here). Without fundamentals, one either wins or losses, but may be crimped down the line because they did not know enough of the fundamentals to work themselves back out of a 5-2 situation. Or, they did not know enough to understand their opponent moved them cross court most of the time and they got tired.

Your point is a good one - you have to play matches to learn. But, if you spend too much time playing matches or focus on them too early in development, you do not become proficient. It does not happen....That is why you see so many people picking up tennis balls outside of the fence.

Anyway, I am not trying to do battle with anyone. Just trying to nail down an understanding for myself and in this short exchange with folks, might be coming to a sort of conclusion on my own.

Lastly, your idea about an on-line instructor is a great one. I will check that out!