View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domen View Post
.....Unfortunately I read that you give away the guitar for a couple of weeks. I'm sorry because it seems you look tired of this, so much to decide to give away the guitar ..... I hope I'm wrong but it sounds like this. What can I think, waiting for the same guitar now?
Domen, don't let MY impressions prejudice your thoughts about your incoming guitar. Make your own decision once you have played yours. We all hear and feel guitars differently. Maybe by the time yours arrives I will know better which string type works best. I work as an acoustical engineer solving noise and vibration problems, and some have suggested that my expertise could be used to add damping materials or other reversible mods to the top in an effort to tame the tone. But I have never worked so hard to make any guitar "fit" before.

I loaned it to a friend for a week or two so he could give me an unbiased second opinion, but I have not given up on it -- yet. Candidly, if he or his carbon-curious friend offered me a reasonable price, it would be sold in a heartbeat. Or it would go back to Donegal for a refund if they offered me that option (they have no obligation to do that with a custom order). Playing the 2016 version of the X20 last night for an hour was much nicer tonally, but I already miss the shorter and more comfortable 24.6" scale length. My instinct there was correct. But I had no idea that they would change the fundamental layup process - or whatever they did - by the time mine was under construction. I approved the pinless bridge and scalloped fretboard end, but nothing was said about a different top. With five other examples of Emerald guitars in the house, I was pretty confident about what would be delivered. I was ready to accept the new custom guitar to replace the stock model outright, but it has not worked out that way.