View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
Hi Wrighty,

I used to play steel and now I play everything on nylon (I'm not a pro and never have been). I used to play with nothing but Hannabachs, mostly because of durability, and lately I've been going with Luthier. Both choices have a lot to do with availability in my area. In the past, I've gotten good results from Knoblochs and I think some kind of bronze-phosphor strings, maybe D'Addarios. Medium tension in all cases. My guitar's a custom-built flamenca and that's what I mostly play on it, but I honestly haven't noticed a difference with strings that are specifically branded for that kind of guitar.

About transitioning, it seems to me that you'd be better off getting used to what you'll be using later on.

If you're new to nylon, you've got a long road ahead of you, but I guarantee that if you steer clear of bad habits, avoid burning out on excessively difficult material and keep having fun, it'll be among the most rewarding endeavors of your life. Of course, I don't know anything about you, but nylon really is worth all the effort. Best of luck and Happy New Year!!!
Thanks Norman - Im keen to try some Hannabachs as they come highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
I give my advise lightly as I am after more than a decade much of a beginner yet. That said I like low tension strings Augustine Blacks in particular. They sound great under my fingers and last quite awhile. I play steel and nylon about equally and think I would do better if I played only classical. But as I play only for pleasure I do both. It seems to me that in a thoughtless sort of way I find steel string and nylon to be two very different instruments. My hands treat them differently without conscious effort. Especially the right hand. It might be useful for you to think of them as two different instruments and not so much transition from one to another as add a second skill and see what happens. My two cents worth. Best wishes!
Makes perfect sense - they are so different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
For carbon treble sets, Knobloch Actives CX or Hannabach Goldin (pricey) are the two best I've found. I use nylon trebles (EJ45) except for the third string, though.
Thanks for the recommendation Carey

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig