View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 08:37 AM

Default K&K PWM installation with hole in bridge plate

Hello,

I want to install a K&K PWM pickup in my Gibson J-35 (2013) in place of the factory fitted Baggs Element. As a pre-check I had a look at the bridge plate to see if there was enough room etc. and discovered that to my luck, the locating hole Gibson use is unfilled and located pretty much where the D/G sensor needs to be fixed as you can see in this pic...

I asked K&K technical support who responded very quickly and advised that if the gap between the locating hole and the front of the plate was less than 1/2" then they recommend filling the hole with wood filler and sanding flat before installing the pick-up as normal.

Can anyone advise if they think that wood filler would be the best product to use here (bearing in mind that plugin with wood or other tricks that would be easy for a luthier to perform, would be very much harder for me to pull off on my kitchen table )?

Does anyone have similar experience with Gibby bridge plate holes and K&K pickup installs and if so, what did you do and how did it go?

Cheers

Ray