View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=alohachris;3248954]Aloha Friends,

What's your studio/recording space like? Front office in our house. Wood floor, normal ceiling height. I have to setup for each recording, rather than using an established setup room. It takes about 30 minutes to get everything in place

What are your goals for recording your acoustic music? Some family members kindly started a guitar fund for me, with which I purchased a preowned Mcilroy Acoustic. I recorded an "album" as a way of saying thanks and to keep my need for fastidious hobbies alive.

What kind of music do you like to play/record? singer/songwriter acoustic driven music

Is your studio space treated? How? a pair of Fran Guidry style Acoustical Panels, some curtains and comforters as well.

What's in your mic locker? one ADK A6 and one CAD M9. I prefer the A6 for instruments, the M9 for vocals and I use both in stereo for acoustic fingerstyle

Recorder? DAW? Interface? Preamp? FX? Plug-in's? Ext. HD's for storage? Monitors? Headphones? Power amp? Controller/mixer or completely ITB? Cables? Mic stands? etc. Reaper on Mac with Reaper and Garage Band Plugins. Mics into previous version of Apogee Duet into the Mac. CAD Headphones for mixing and mastering. Having mixed with headphones, I totally get why people say to buy monitors. .

Favorite mic pattern/placement for recording acoustic guitar? A6 12 - 15" off the 12th fret. M9 over the shoulder, 18" or so off the body.

New gear you have your eye on? My budget does not allow for a wandering eye

How has home recording evolved for you? I went from complete novice to very much a novice. I've learned a great deal from many of you and other forums. I have a long way to go to truly use EQ and compression well. I've thoroughly enjoyed the learning curve

Thanks Chris - you were instrumental in my gear choice.