View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Yeah... You are correct. I know nothing about this (at least until now).
But the question of impedence nor did it come up in previous threads that I recall. I just went through this exercise and impedence wasn't even brought to my attention.

I looked at the specs again (for the Fishman Platinum Pro)...
Input impedance: 10M Ohms
Input trim gain range: -6dB to +14dB
Amp Output:
Level: -∞ to +6dBV
Output Impedance: 1k Ohms

I also checked out the specs on my other mini preamp, the Baggs GigPro...
Input Impedance: 10 Megohms
Output Impedance: 800 Ohms

It seems that the OP is quite focused on impedance. If it were, wouldn't the subject have come up in other threads?But is matching impedance to specific pickups important?
An appropriate input impedance is important, but the fact is most units that are designed to take an input from a acoustic guitar pickup are designed to take pretty much anything you'd expect from the pickup systems that are out there.

Since there's no real "matching" at play here--the input impedance just needs to be significantly higher than the output impedance of the signal that's coming into it (the rule of thumb is 10x higher)--most units use a 10 meg Ohm input impedance, which will be fine for even the kinds of passive piezo pickups that need something very high. Even 1 meg Ohm will be fine for most pickups. And many will even be fine with the 220 k Ohm input impedance on some active DI's like the Radial J48. Lower than that and a lot of passive pickups will start to sound thin. People claim that with pickups like the K&K mini, there's a difference between 10 meg Ohm and 1 meg Ohm, but this difference has never been demonstrated beyond subjective reports. With that kind of pickup, it's just best for people to try units with 1 and with 10 and see if that (or other features) makes a difference to them. Most magnetic pickups and anything that's active, can pretty much go into anything, and the differences between different DI/Preamp/EQ units are really about features and aspects of design other than the input impedance.

Louis