View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 04:11 AM

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all the replies. After reading them and further googling on this forum I have discovered my issue is quite common. My conclusions so far ...

The K&K pure mini SBT in my Sigma S000M-18 has a recommended input impedance of 1 MOhm whereas the SRT passive UST on my Yamaha LL16 has a recommended input impedance of 10 MOhm.

Using a 1 MOhm input preamp for both guitars will match the Sigma but will likely do little to stop the Yamaha sounding thin and quacky. Using a 10 MOhm input preamp for both guitars will match the Yamaha but may well (some people report this whereas others say it is a non-issue) make the Sigma sound boomy requiring heavy EQ either via the preamp EQ or a separate EQ pedal.

As has been said by one of you already, it seems so obvious that these preamps need building with switchable 1 MOhm to 10 MOhm impedances and yet very few and certainly none of the cheaper ones offer this. That has to be a gap in the market for somebody....

If I bought a 10 MOhm preamp to use directly with the Yamaha would putting my 1 MOhm Boss TU3 tuner in front of this for the Sigma tame any boominess or would the the low output impedance from the TU3 going into the very high input impedance of the 10 MOhm preamp pedal continue to cause boom issues ?

One thing is clear though. Namely a 1 MOhm preamp is a non-starter for the Yamaha so isn’t an option.

Rgds,

Des