View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
For existing materials I would use them too with the exception as I said of Ivory and a few other animal products and again that's just my personal belief with no judgment. I would reserve harsh judgement on those who would kill for it today though But if you get some old piano keys and make nuts out of it that's cool. I won't but that's my prerogative and I'm happy to explain why in the hopes that it makes even a small difference.

But it is a good point to note that in doing so it does inject some confusion into the market about how rare these things are and how much of an impact they are having and the possibility that it influences further poaching. But that will all end soon, once the existing materials are used up. In a way that's what we are doing now, we are phasing out.

So a test study like this is a cool way to demonstrate the possibilities of going forward as these traditional materials are getting phased out.
I agree, for me, your "moral psychology" behind the Ivory is the exact same ideology as the Rosewood.

I much like you basically feel/felt the same way. I was rationalizing my "okness" with Rosewood as it was not a higher consciousness life form like an Elephant, but then more recently I changed my way of thinking.

My reasoning behind this was that after thinking about the situation in more detail, if I were to add up all the monkeys, rodents,birds,insects etc. that would exist in a 100yd x 100 yd swath of land , and now that the canopy is gone, all that life either ends or gets displaced, and then the next 100 yds gets cut, and then the process starts again for these creatures and eventually there will be no more places to get displaced to. So in a way forest decimation effects more higher life forms and or feels like on the same level as killing elephants to me.

Unfortunately I feel you are correct in that these things will "naturally" phase themselves out ie. we will use it all up and there will be no more left.

I too am encouraged by these types of studies as they help people understand there are alternates.