View Single Post
Old 12-25-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Nika's book is well written and I have enjoyed reading it. Aliasing of frequencies above the sampling frequency to harmonic content below the sampling frequency is particularly relevant to the direction this thread has taken.
I haven't read his book, but I watched that legendary thread on the George Massenburg forum called "George Watch This" unfold live... where Nika brought up many of the issues we are discussing in this thread. I was a part of that forum (which I love and miss).

Very interesting that he's practicing law right now... not surprising, as he is a smart, articulate, and passionate guy... probably a great lawyer.

Kev, why not do the test you have outlined? I am in norcal and would enjoy participating, or even just watching. I am always willing to learn something new.

BTW, I did the test you reference, with the following modification since I didn't have two of the same converters.

mic (think it was either TLM103 or my stereo Avantone) -> mic pre (Great River 2mh) -> audio d/a -> simultaneous recording on both MOTU traveler (44.1) and Steinberg 816x (88.2). It was very easy to do. I played acoustic guitar through it and other instruments. Played triangle. Played my drum kit.

In no case could I pick out one from the other. Obviously it's not a scientific test as there are two different interfaces in play, but... it should have been easier, considering really the difference between the two interfaces should be obvious. Even then.. no.

I had a couple different monitors connected, including my Dynaudios and Tannoys. I could reliably hear no difference in blind testing.

Anyway, point is, as I said, it's pretty reasonable if one cannot hear a difference in some basic tests, the difference that might exist is irrelevant. Combine that with the results of the tests many people have done. So anyway, that's my take.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics