View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 AM

Guitar is a strange industry. People largely prefer avoiding innovation or changes. I'm amazed how many folks will instantly claim that it can't be done. Don't bother. Just get a Martin.

https://www.facebook.com/johnny.staa...9158096912843/

I've become a big fan of Bob Thompson guitars. I recall some guy at my acoustic jam giving me the "nice fake Martin" comment when I first brought it out. My wife thinks I'm a moron, but I'm pretty sure he was being very sarcastic.

Part of Martin's price tag is the dealer cut, advertising, endorsements, HR department, lawyers, etc. As far as I'm concerned, none of that makes a better guitar. This is generally why I prefer independent luthiers who sell direct.

Why do I prefer Bob Thompson to Martin? A lot of it is because I like to customize my specs to perfectly suit my needs. As far as I know, Martin doesn't offer bevels/radiused arm rests. By the time I went through the custom shop, I'd be spending at least $10k. I have an OM with Brazilian back/sides. Let me know how much Martin would charge and I'll disclose that I probably paid 1/2 that.