View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
This doesn't have anything to do with the comparison, as with both guitars, it's the same, but as far as the way both guitars sound on this particular recording, it's worth nothing that Rev Roy has his arm resting on the top of the guitars. His elbow is actually resting on the top. And... this pushes the strumming hand further toward the neck, meaning that it appears that the strum is on the neckward part of the soundhole. A guitar's sound is different strummed there versus center or a bit toward the bridge from center of soundhole. Isn't it also that with the arm resting on the top deadens the sound somewhat? As for where in the soundhole, some people might like a strum toward the neck; I prefer the sound a bit toward the bridge.
“Appears” is the operative word there. I think what you are seeing is an illusion caused by the angle of the guitar in relation to the camera. I do, however, hit those last Em strums up close to the fretboard deliberately. It gives me the fat/bassy climax that I want in that progression...as opposed to the thin/bright tone I’d get close to the bridge. My attack shifts song to song (and often mid-song) depending on the tone I want...

As for my arm resting on the guitar...mega culpa. Works for me and I suspect any effect on tone is minimal.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini