View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Some people don't get much joy out of reading; I do. I'll limit something else.
I'm with you, Glenn. I've been a collector (of widely assorted things) all my life, and most especially books and music. At one point, I had over 10,000 LPs, largely classical, purged that down to 4,000 rather special items, finally donated 3,500+ to a university a few years back and still have about 500 left (about a third rock & folk, a third classical, a third jazz). Haven't even counted the CDs, but there are probably 10 boxes full at my office...the only place I ever listen to digital format items.

And books...well... Thing is, I'm an advertising writer and TV/radio producer by trade, have been for nearly 45 of my 50 working years, so books have been important as references, tools (must have 20 different dictionaries, a dozen specialized thesauri, grammar and style guides, and on and on) and more, just at work. At home, my wife and I have extensive volumes on art, comparative religions, language, history, economics/investing and other topics of interest...plus Twain, Wodehouse, and a handful of other authors whose work I re-read on a fairly regular basis. Like some folks here, I've taken to utilizing the public library for new items to read, and haven't bought any new books in maybe five years. But I probably have 4 or 5 dozen books I plan to attack upon retirement, almost all nonfiction books that will require time and concentration to truly digest. I'm still a couple of years out from that point (waiting 'til 70 to boost the 401k).

All of which means that the culling process seems to be getting harder, not easier.

Dirk