View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 11:37 PM

I was fortunate and was able to see/hear some of the best acts there are/were, many of them in the front row.

I refer to what's come to be known as "The Big Gig". It is formally called Summerfest. It began in the late 60s or early 70's. I don't recall exactly. It has become the biggest festival of it's kind.

It was very simple when it began, and steadily improved year after year. Seating was not assigned, so, if you got there plenty early, you could be in the front row.

Let's see... Chicago, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Sly and The Family Stone, Deep Purple, Kenny Loggins, Hall and Oates, The Atlanta Rhythm Section, Huey Lewis and The News, The Doobie Brothers, John Prine, BB King, Lonnie Brooks, Albert King.
The list goes on. I can't even remember how many great groups and single acts I saw there, many from the front row and if not the front, then very near the front.

Now, Summerfest spawned a variety of ethnic festivals including Milwaukee Irish Fest. The Summerfest grounds are used for these festivals. Irish Fest is the largest Irish music festival in the U.S. and I think, the world.
In that genre, I have seen many great entertainers, front row. Tommy Makem, Makem and Clancy, Lunasa, Solas, Altan, The Screaming Orphans, Tom Sweeney, Dervish, Different Drums of Ireland, Liz Carroll, Natalie McMaster, Alister Fraiser - this list just scratches the surface.i

Considering that Milwaukee is a relatively small market, otherwise, it has been a great place to get a front row seat!