View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasapple View Post
Another beautiful custom Eclipse--congratulations to Steve and Mike! We anxiously await Mike's first impressions. I'm curious how the thinner than typical bevel size will feel under the right arm. My right arm loves the bevel on my Zephyr.
Thanks for checking in and asking!! The smaller bevels provide just the right amount of relief. They really aren't as much "armrest" as they are "relief points". I sat for about 45 minutes with the guitar, just basically banging out chords in an effort to play in the strings, and I was as comfortable at the end of playing as I was when I started. So these are the perfect size for my body, and the body of the guitar.

As for first impressions, these are really my second first impressions, but in the short time I played it, the guitar is very sweet. I think it is purring loudly now and I anticipate it roaring more later on. Seriously, the guitar is pretty loud, from the player's perspective. Perhaps that has something to do with the sound port, but I like that it can be loud without much work. I have to get it in the hands of someone else so I can sit out front and hear it. The trebles really shine through in a very good way. The bass needs a little more aggression to push through, but the guitar was build to handle light-moderate strumming, so if I need to hit the bass strings a tad harder, I can do that without fear of any buzz. As with the overall tone, I expect the bass to fill out and get a bit more crisp as the guitar wakes up. I sang a few tunes and was very comfortable with how my voice pairs with the guitar's voice. I'm really looking forward to hearing how it develops. If it sounds like this now, it's going to be amazing at she opens up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Awesome--congrats, Mike!

I know you've been waiting to be reunited with this combination for a long time!

Looking forward to your full report when you've had a chance to play it awhile.

Enjoy!!!
Thanks so much! As you can see from the above quick review, she's a pleasure. Steve got the neck shape exactly where I like it, it's very easy to play barre chords, which I do frequently. As you said, I've been wanting this wood combo, and Steve certainly did it justice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats to Mike for his favorite wood combinations coming home. If beauty is an indication, all should be well.

Congrats to Steve on another work of art that makes beautiful music. Steve you have done it again my man!

I hope you love it Mike!
Tom, as I wrote above, she's very sweet sounding, and I think that's going to evolve into a bit more of an aggressive nature. And that's a good thing. I like a guitar that can growl a bit because it allows a wide range of picking dynamics, soft strums for sweet sounds, volume when I want it. And it really is pretty to look at. Thanks for all the good wishes and encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
So I can tentatively exhale now...?
I wanted to mention, a few years ago, I made a nylon string guitar with a set of the same Sinker redwood, from the same billet as this guitar. Brand new, it sounded pretty good, although less mellow than I had hoped. But after a month, six weeks, and beyond, it really blossomed into a rich, fragrant tone.
Using the same top wood on Mike’s guitar, I had the same impression- although this one quite a bit louder. It also sounds a lot more expressive after the strings get played in for a few days. So the best is yet to come. The real alchemy happens when the player invests an instrument with some musical heart and soul. I guitar isn’t fully built until it’s played.
Yes, Steve, relax! All is good in the guitar-hood. As you said, the guitar is already quite loud, and I don't want it to be too mellow. I'm going to play it faithfully often, and put on a set of my favorite strings, then wash-rinse-repeat. As pretty as she is, I don't want her to be a case queen, she'll be a player (though well taken care of). You've been a real pleasure to work with, putting up with my questions and making the process a joy. Thank you for everything!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)