View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 11:19 AM

Hey Kev,

I've since revised my plan and have determined that sound isolation is not worth the time and money in this specific case... too many variables and since it would only be as good as as the weakest link, its not worth the effort for such little potential gain.

I will focus my resources on treatment and making the room sound as good as possible under the circumstances.

My plan is to maximize absorption on the ceiling and eliminate reflections completely to try to take it out of the equation.

For the floor, I will be putting in hardwood flooring and have on optional area rug. This is to counterbalance the dead ceiling and make the room sound a little more natural.

For the walls, they are built of drywall. I will be putting in floor-to-ceiling bass traps in the corners on the front wall and DIY 3" acoustic panels on the side walls for broadband absorption to reduce primary reflections and flutter echo.

On the back wall, I have a large couch with a diffusion panel above it.

To cap it off, I might add some Auralex studiofoam or more panels here and there if I find I need more absorption.

Right now, I'm evaluating which materials to use for absorption. I'm in Canada, so I don't have access to certain products namely OC 703. I'm trying to find alternatives such as 4" Roxul Rockboard 40 which has similar specs. If I can't find that, I would use 3" Roxul Safe n Sound in the ceiling.

One thing I am wondering: If I use the SnS in the ceiling, should I put in 6" thick (2x3"pieces) or just one 3" with 3" of air in the back. From what I understand, if I put in 6", it would trap more low frequencies.

Any thoughts?
2015 Gibson Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo
2017 Gibson SJ200 burst
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2009 Fender Stratocaster
2015 Epi Les Paul Traditional