Thread: 4 mics compared
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I've tried a lot of mics over the years, and it has always come down to "sounds good, but not as good as, or at least no better than the Schoeps". They're hard to beat. But its always interesting to hear what other people hear in these. To me, the Schoeps are very smooth, but the Brauners and KM184s are brighter, which I'd call "airier", but then words never quite work.

I did just have an interesting issue tonight. I fired this stuff back up, and 1 channel on my Great River is out. Took a bit of digging, but something's messed up suddenly. Extremely low output, with some noise. And that's the side the one Brauner was on, and which happens to have the most obvious Brauner noise on it. Other than the noise, I don't heard any obvious issues with what I recorded yesterday, but hmm...

Isn't the reason we play acoustic so we don't have to deal with all these gear issues?
Ugh. I had some elusive fuzzy static awhile back and changed out nearly all my patch cables and mike cables before I isolated it. Interestingly, replacing the mike cables totally changed the gain...higher by probably 8 db (!). It made me realize that cables have a lifespan even if they're just sitting there in the same setup, not being jerked around, etc. So I had some mike cables in my chain that were 20+ years old, getting old and dull just like me.

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage