Thread: 4 mics compared
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Of course in hands use on mikes vary much more than you can tell from clips where the mikes were all in one static position.
I agree, good point, Rick. I was surprised myself how similar these examples ended up sounding. But I wouldn't conclude that the mics are all the same, just that for this clip the differences are pretty minimal. For example, if you speak into the Brauner's you get this big "radio voice" thing, while the Neuman's don't seem to work very well for vocals, as fair as I can tell. Partly that has to do with pop filters and so on, but I think it's more than that.

There's also a big difference in sensitivity, which should show up on a guitar recording somehow. If I have a Schoeps and a Brauner side by side at the same level, a tiny crackle across the room sends the brauner's VU meter towards the top, while the Schoeps VU meter barely registers. I don't fully understand that, but it seems that the Brauner's respond to very fast transients better than most mics.

At last spring's NAMM show, Audio Technica had a cool booth, semi-soundproof, where you could put on headphones and talk into all their mics. They had a row that went from the AT2020 up to the 4060(?) or whatever their top end is. You could absolutely hear the difference as you walked down the row, partly in how your voice sounded, but even more noticeable was the degree to which the mics picked up the floor noise that leaked into the "sound proofed" room. The AT2020 barely picked up anything, while the higher end mics picked up all kind of stuff from outside. For getting the detail of a guitar, I assume the mics that pick up everything are more useful.