View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 07:54 PM

In reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
...I like the look of an armrest on electrics. I play kinda high on the chest sort of like this ) and the edges on some guitars are uncomfortable so I wear a padded elbow sleeve...
That's a custom-order in the pics - mine doesn't have the armrest - and I also prefer my guitars higher so I spent a couple hours yesterday modifying the matching skinny '60s-style strap to fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
...I still don't own a Gretsch as it is still too far down on the expense list. Maybe someday.

Out of curiosity, would you PM me the price you paid on this beautiful guitar?
Check out the MIK Electromatic 5400/5600 Series hollows/semis (I also own one of the latter) - well under $1K, and if I wasn't able to find a 6136DC I was all set to buy a white one and "Falconize" it with aftermarket Gretsch parts...

Sent you a PM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
I too joined the Gretsch hollowbody club a couple weeks ago with this...

Black with gold hardware...

Sort of a little brother of yours...
Nice - FYI Gretsch has also produced a MIJ Black Falcon model on an occasional basis, that was a near-double for yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
....I wouldn't worry about the made in Japan laments. From what I've been reading they play as well or better than the vintage Brooklyn originals. Provided you can find one that is in good shape.

FWIW, I did find my dream Gretsch, a 6120DC Chet Atkins in Western Orange, about a month ago in a small shop in NYC. They were asking 3400 dollars for it. I had to leave the store immediately. I still like being married.

They had a Country Gentleman (the George Harrison guitar) of the same vintage hanging next to it. Didn't even want to know how much.

I hate being poor.
You probably read that in my earlier posts - I've been playing Gretsches for the last 55 years, and the current Japanese and Korean instruments rank among the finest ever to bear the name. That said, if you've got a jones for a '63 6120 but can't afford a vintage Brooklyn original (or even one of the circa-2010/2011 reissues at around $2K used), at under $900 street you might find this of interest:

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/...sby/2509300520

FYI the current "King George" '62 Gent reissue sells for around $3K street - I've seen player-grade '60s originals going for similar money, this one's built way better from the get-go, and you've got a warranty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
...Just got a Gretsch 5420 in Fairlane Blue. Great guitar, although it doesn't compare to yours.
See my comments above regarding the Korean E-matics vis-a-vis the Japanese Professional Series; I've said it before and I'll say it again: while the attention to historic detail may be better on the Pro models (the hardware is a little higher quality/more accurate in most cases, but see my original post), speaking as an owner the E-matics give up absolutely nothing in terms of QC, playability, construction, or tone (realizing, of course, that "That Great Gretsch Sound" in fact comes in a variety of flavors: Dynasonic, PAF/patent Filter'tron, Hi-Lo'tron, Super'tron, "blacktop" Filter'tron, etc. - which can be paired with a number of body types/sizes/bracing designs). Fred Gretsch played his hand well here - gigworthy instruments, at Working Joe/Jane prices, that capture the essential sonic and visual vibe of all the classic models of the '50s-60s; I use my own 5622T-CB 3-PU semi-hollow for gigs without feeling undergunned - and somehow I think Brian Setzer would approve wholeheartedly of that big Fairlane Blue hollowbody...