View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
...Guitar sound is a sensory memory that is very short lived and does not translate well into long term memory due to the way we are wired up.
Hi HHP...
Perhaps so for you, and not for others.

My wife can be walking through a store and see a pair of earrings and tell me they will perfectly match a specific color in a blouse that is at home, and buy them. Sure enough - she's spot on every time - and we are not talking only basic colors...she remembers subtle shades of color.

After nearly 40 years of marriage to her, I've grown to believe in her ability to remember color...I don't have it, but recognize and acknowledge it in her. My inability to do this does not invalidate her capability.

I remember sounds, resonance, tone and response of acoustic instruments I've played - usually after only playing them once. When I bring them to mind, I can remember them as though I'm still playing them. I can recall the tension of the strings in my plucking hand, and the action it was set at, and probably what weight and type (coated or non-coated) were on it, and whether they were fresh, partially used or dead). I don't try to do this, it just happens when I play. It's more an involuntary thing that I can resurrect at will.

I can also hear any singer I want singing any song in my head, to any accompaniment, and in any style I choose any time I want to. Handy when it comes to arranging...I didn't know for years all musicians could not do that. Found I had to be careful describing it so people didn't classify me as delusional.

I think it's entirely possible one person can/does hear instruments opening up and another doesn't.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…