View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Please let us know your decisions on pre and comp.
so I was considering a second home studio and looking for some real value oriented outboard gear pre, and comp specifically, and in that search stumbled on both the Warm and Audio Source Bus comps, but now the Elysia Xpressor is on that short list as well
Bare with me, I have a story to tell:
In the 1970's I bought a brand new Nuemann U87, and Urei 1176LN. Those two never let me down for vocals. I did wish for a bit more openness though. Which of course today's Digital and great preamps help to accomplish.
I thought I was done with music and sold my U87 back about 12 years ago or so. I had not even used it ten or so years. I thought to myself, there have been incredible advancements in electronics. People were stating left and right there are equal microphones for a tenth the price. And so I thought that if I got back into it, I could do so cheaply. From my experiences, this is not so .
There are some very nice value equipment, but it is sure hard to beat the total fulfillment of a high quality piece of recording equipment. And that is the journey I have been on.
So now I am faced with the next question: Is there a preamp that is that good at a lower price. Is there such an animal...or is it once again Hype and dreams. I still have to buy compressor, a valve preamp for vocals and possibly a new vocal mic. And then onto a midi keyboard. If I can save some money and still get the quality I ...need.
Anyway KevWind, here is what I am considering for pre's.
Camden 500. They can be had for around $350. The Reviews on this product are more than great by consumers and reviewers. I do not think you see any pro reviews that give any piece of equipment a negative review. But Camden seems to get stellar reviews. And on Vintage King there are eleven high reviews right now...and Vintage kind does not get many reviews like Sweetwater does.
Doug Young was kind enough to give me his thoughts on the Youtube video.(Can not say enough nice things about Doug, he is always so helpful) He thought it was decent but there might be a bit of distortion due to Camden's mojo and Thump controls and or Youtube problems of quality.
I know the model Larrivee he is using in the video..and to me it sounds pretty realistic. I believe he is using mid side with 414 and 451. I do hear a bit of harshness coming from the pick and AKG brightness, and the starkness that mahogany gives. But overall I think it is an accurate representation of what the guitar sounds like. He plays quite beautifully...and a beautiful tune as well.
Reviewers claim this preamp is Ultra clear and beat out other much higher priced preamps.
So the big question is= Is this too good to be true? A quality preamp for $350. Or have we come to the day and age where something like this can be as good for that kind of price.
I would still like to believe that Building a high quality preamp for lesser price is possible. Circuit boards, chips, resistors and switches. Should this not be possible? Microphones..are a different story...the Capsule is not easy feat to built perfectly.
So please give me your thoughts. Here is the video on the first link. And on the second link is the Homepage. Scroll down the page for more samples.
I will be so interested to hear your thoughts. And Please give me other suggestions.
If I need to spend more, then so be it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwO4e0TyDqg
http://www.cranborne-audio.com/camden500