View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby View Post
If I wanted to go full nuclear and pull the taylor board, is it possible to run the existing humbuckers and the fishman undersaddle to the Fishman Powerchip and a 3 way switch (undersaddle / Blend / Humbuckers)? So its just the Taylor humbuckers, the Fishman Powerchip, the Fishman undersaddle, and a 3 way switch? It's the set up the Powerchip is intended for, but it's usually the PowerBridge in place of the undersaddle in this instance, and the Taylor humbuckers have the Positive / Negative / Ground wiring.

Any input you can give on this one I very much appreciate.
I think that would work a little differently than what you want and I wish I had thought of it back when I owned my T5z. The T5z acoustic tone is not as good as the A6 Ultra I had before it where I would blend the UST and neck magnetic for amplified acoustic tone (but the lack of a bridge magnetic pickup ultimately became a deal breaker).

You will want to add a passive 500K volume (and tone?) control(s) for the Taylor magnetics and run that to the Powerchip. The Powerchip assumes separate magnetic and piezo inputs. You add piezo to the guitar output with the Powerchip volume control.
  1. T5z switch (or your substitute, it is a standard Strat style mounting) -> passive controls -> Powerchip
  2. Piezo -> Powerchip
At the input to the passive controls you can short ground and negative together.

But you don't get your goal of a single switch going between all the magnetic options and the piezo. Possibly the T5z native magnetic "acoustic" selection might sound great with a little SBT added.

You could use the piezo input only of the Powerchip and put your "one switch to rule them all" ahead of that, but the volume mismatch between the piezo and magnetic elements and the lack of ability to blend piezo and neck magnetic with a POT would be a deal breaker for me.

And one more useful bit of info, the Taylor preamp, all piezo preamps except the Fishman Matrix (to my knowledge), are flat response. That makes all of this a bit more flexible and if you want to ditch the Taylor switch and add the JJB directly to that replacement, aside from the volume mismatch and no ability to blend magnetic and piezo, it will very likely work fine with the Taylor preamp.

If you go to my duo website you will find my phone number and we could talk this out much more quickly.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 12-02-2020 at 07:25 AM.