Thread: Is it worth it
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
I will toss my 2 cents in for what it is worth. We have two replies from two respected members with ukulele experience but giving polar opposite opinions. I come from the ukuele and attend three regular jams, there are members with this travel tenor and I have played them. They are surprisingly loud for a thin body but as physics would dictate not much resonace or sustain. But not a terrible over all tone, loud and punchy.

If this is going to be your one "decent" uke I don't think it will satisfy you over the long haul because you come from guitar. A standard deeper bodied tenor in all solid wood can be had for between 3-400 dollars, Pono, Kala, Ohana to name a few and they would sound much better
You are so right. The one I have was an all-in-one purchase from Amazon which I also used my Amazon credits and only had to pay out of pocket $47 for a $100 Ukulele. Now, yesterday I went to Sam Ash and their selection sucked. Then I went to GC and they had 2 that were just under $200 (and they were the most expensive ones there) and I liked them but still felt the sound compared cost-to-benefit ratio just wasn't there. There wasn't any doubt it had a fuller sound than what I have but didn't feel the sound was $200 worthy.

Also so far not having much luck finding stores with variety; I am planning to hit a few smaller shops this week and if not this coming Saturday.

In the meantime I left GC with a really nice stool and is going to replace my folding chair as the new place to plant myself.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-12-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity