View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 11:39 AM

It's already been brought up that the nature of a piano keyboard lends itself to certain kinds of visual demonstrations of musical factors. Guitarists have other things they are lead to concentrate on from the nature of their instrument (string vibrato, hands-on variations in timbre, instrument-led "incidental" suggestions for harmonic construction come to mind).

Similarly, if one was to take up a wind instrument one would learn about focusing on phrasing, concentration on compelling melodic statement, breath-based variation of timbre, and all that.

We've already heard from a drummer, but I'm often reminded that a surprising number of interesting guitarists started with or can play drums well.

Personally, I find piano a wonderful instrument to mix with guitar. The mix of a percussive/melodic instrument like the piano just seems so right with the plucked and/or legato guitaristic sounds. I can barely operate a piano keyboard, but I'm drawn to using it in compositions and recordings even when I don't have access to my long time keyboard-playing musical partner.

So enjoy the opportunity.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....