View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm glad you said this. I've been questioning what I'm doing lately and my answer has always been to myself "its your hobby" which I guess is a good enough answer.
Artists want to make things. They can't help it. Lots and lots of thing try to convince them not to do this, and yet those things are only partially effective.

"Artist" sounds like a pretentious term, like it's some level of achievement or recognition, but I use it an more general way. For me composing pieces, playing and recording parts is something I just want to do. Back when I was a kid I liked putting together plastic model car kits, "kit-bashing" stuff from one box with another to produce my own hot-rod combinations. I remember a conversation with another peer asking why we did this? "I mean what do you do with them afterward, you can put them on a shelf and look at them, but still..." I think I shrugged then, he probably shrugged back. I didn't know enough then to say that Picasso or Prince probably felt the same way--that even if they got money and fame from it, that the real reason they did it was the same ineffable desire to make stuff. And there are probably word-workers and cake bakers who are driven by the same urge.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....