Thread: Chasing clarity
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Hi Barry

Fold away panels are ok, depending on the the design and size.

It's pretty easy to pad an area (like an untreated garage) using moving blankets and building a smaller recording area with them. I'm a photographer, so I'd just throw up 3 C-stands with extension rods and clamp the blankets onto them.

But that's expensive (C-stand with extension costs $120 & up).

Unless you are going to build and treat a professional suite, you gotta kill the room reflections.

I once listened to an interview and recording of a jazz group which the recordist met in an empty 800 seat auditorium and they had to record on the open stage.

He pulled the main auditorium stage curtains shut and then turned the group around to face the curtains (audience side), and used equipment cases, props and anything he could find backstage and built a 6' high wall behind them which he covered with moving blankets. He didn't blanket the floor. And close-microphone placement (not so close as to invoke proximity effects) did the trick. The recording was amazing.

I've since seen a lot of temporary video groups who carry these blanket and drape them to treat highly reflective and confined spaces where they need to record interviews.

Your garage may seem quiet to you, but if it's untreated, I'm suspecting it's more reflective than your brain is telling you.

Just sowing ideas…have fun experimenting!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…