View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I am starting to put together the 335 kit from StewMac. Going exactly the opposite of the directions, I am going to finish this first and then assemble.

I'm looking for help in two areas.

1. I want to do the top in a surf green sort of color but I want to kind of "stain" it so I can still see some grain vs paint it. If I did not care about the grain, I would simply spray the top with a can of surf green paint and then apply the top coats protectant I choose to use. I may protect with spray enamel as I love that stuff. Crystal clear, high gloss and very durable. I've used it on a ton of wood stuff.
I'm having a very hard time finding a color of green I like in a dye, powder or acrylic paint. On other projects, I have applied acrylic paint to bare wood, let it sit for a few then remove and what's left kind of looks like a stain. I'm thinking I'll have to do something like that to get the color I want. Unless someone has another option I can try.

2. The most favorite neck I own is on my EB Music Man Axis. I don't know what they do to their necks but I'd like to do this 335 neck as close as I can to it. The MM necks almost have a raw/satin feel to them. I've heard terms like gunstock mentioned before regarding their necks. One big difference between my MM neck and the 335 neck is that the MM is maple and this is hog.
Any suggestions on what or how I should finish this neck? After sanding, what can I put on it to give it that raw/satin sort of feel? OR with mahogany, do I need to put more on it like a gloss or paint?

Thanks!
For color, check out the Guitar Reranch finishing website.

For a neck finish you might want to consider Osmo PolyX "hard wax" finish. I just finished a mahogany acoustic guitar neck with it and really like it a lot. (I've got a lot of years of finish experimenting that I've done, so I'm always on the lookout for the Goldilocks finish. The Osmo PolyX may just be "the one".)

Read my comments in this topic:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=581496&page=2