Old 05-26-2020, 11:48 PM

Default Portable recorder recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Laurence

That was great fun to listen to!

Very workable rig…

Thanks for listening!

For quite a while my favorite home recording mic has been the Shure SM7B because it sounds wonderful and rejects a lot of the crummy sound of a less than perfect room at home. I’ve also loved how it rejects enough of the acoustic guitar that you still have control over the levels when you mix.

As I’ve started recording video, I’ve realized that that while that the SM7B sounds wonderful, it is big and has to be so close to your face that it blocks the camera view.

Plus, you want a simple mobile setup that you can use with battery power, at low volumes, and in different visual settings.

A shotgun mic has much of the same room and guitar rejection that I love about the SM7B, but you can move it six or eight inches away and still get an intimate vocal sound.

With the H5 or H6 and the shotgun module, you have a simple one piece solution that can mic vocals and take a direct line from your guitar, and record them either as a stereo mix or as separated tracks. If you have a dual system mic/pickup, the direct sound from the guitar can be very good. You can use it free running, or directly into your phone through USB, or into the mic input of a DSLR or mirror less camera. You can even use it feeding headphones, and a phone and a camera at once for two camera shoots. It sounds close and intimate and yet you can keep the mic away from your face.

It really is a wonderful dead simple solution for self recorded singer songwriter videos with great audio!

Last edited by lkingston; 05-27-2020 at 12:21 AM.