View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My T5 from 2012 has a scratchy volume knob. But instead of replacing a $15 volume pot, I have to buy a whole new circuit board for $114 and then pay an installer to replace it, because they don't use the same plug for the current replacement part. (But at least the part exists).
I was briefly in the T5 and ES1.x PCB repair business (mostly for myself and friends). I ended up buying a solder vacuum to deal with their fine pitch silver solder PCB which has proven to be a very handy tool to own.

They use something called a 9mm snap mount POT. There are literally millions of options if you order 500 of them and Taylor subs out their PCB construction and rework (so they don't have any). I actually contacted the manufacturer of the POT and the US sales office had no record of Taylor as a customer. The PCBs are probably made in the orient somewhere.

However the big distributors had something close enough that I could file the shaft length and make them work. Here is my thread that started with the switch failing and worked its way into the POTs.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=401790

I think the ES PCB makes sense for acoustic musicians who are not constantly tweaking their volume to get the right amount of distortion, but they are way too fragile if you use a T5z as an electric guitar.

I agree that the ES2 drilling out of the bridge is not something that appeals to me. There are plenty of good SBT designs that can get you to roughly the same place.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields