View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 09:14 AM

My "Studio B" is a quite small "Home Office" (which is was a bedroom in 1906 when my house was built). I use this space to do a lot of MIDI interface work with recordings, DI electric guitar, and occasional overdubs with acoustic instruments and voice. And of course everything else, like writing, composing, visiting the AGF and so on.

When I need to record acoustic guitar in this non-optimal space I use a iRig Stage mic which sounds decent and doesn't pickup a great deal of low volume room sound. This tiny mic easily slides onto the edge of a guitar soundhole.

When I need to record vocals in this space I use a dynamic mic. The one I have setup is a ElectroVoice EV20. I actually have it mounted on a conventional straight mic stand near my right knee. It's really not in my way.

I used to use a spring loaded desk-attached boom arm, beefier versions of which are commonly used in broadcasting. My current setup has so much on my desktop (two large monitors, two interfaces) that I didn't really have swing arm room to come from the desk in my current setup. Another possibility for some setups is to come down from a ceiling rather than up from the floor or desktop.

In my studio space I have a Sure SM7b mounted on such an arm, and since I'm always "self-producing" and "self-engineering" myself while playing (and in the past other musicians too), it's nice how easily the arm lets one move the mic out the way and back into position.

I'm no expert on recording, though I'm working on recordings constantly. Many (most) have better ears that me. That out of the way, I think one advantage of dynamic mics like the EV20 (and the SM7b too) is that they are less sensitive, and therefore pickup less background noise. I'm less sure, but I hope they pickup less undesirable room reflections.

A disadvantage of inexpensive spring-loaded booms is that heavy mics sometimes won't say stable, particularly when the arm is extended outward. In the radio network that I used to work at they sometimes "hot-rodded" the booms they used with strong spring to better counterbalance heavy mics.

Some find the "reflection shields" sold to mount on mic stands somewhat helpful in untreated rooms, but added weight from those shields don't sound like a good fit with a spring-loaded boom arm. I have no treatment in my home office "Studio B" but the wall behind my mic position is a big, messy, bookcase which probably acts like wall treatment.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....