View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 12:45 PM

I went with the Thomastik Jazz Strings. Put them on about a week ago. These flat wound strings cost about 3 to 4 times more than a set of cheap strings but are worth it.

It's a night and day difference from the original D'Addario round wound strings the Kestrel came with. The sound is smooth and creamy across the fretboard. Happy camper here. Saved the D'Addarios to put on my Washburn Rover when I get around to changing its strings.

I think I found the acoustic sound I was looking for. I also figured out how to get the guitar loud enough to be heard on melodies above the group, so I haven't bothered with an amp yet since switching strings. Pretty close to perfection.

GAS may be permanently on hold. At least it's in abeyance for now.

On a separate note, I ordered some Monels too and plan to put them on a flat top. I also have a set of Nightclubs on order as a back up in case something happens to the Thomastiks.

Thank you for all the input. I will probably never amount to much as a guitarist, but having the right equipment sure makes the experience of playing a few hours a day so much more wonderful than dealing with inferior products.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?