View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmay View Post
In view of the thread complaining about rosewood's overtones, it became clear to me that I didn't have a clue what the OP was talking about despite playing guitar since 1964 (quite badly probably).

My two guitars are both Sitka Spruce tops and EIR back and sides.

Serious question: What is an overtone (in the guitar context)?
Hi BM
I'm with you when it comes to defining what people actually mean when they say things like that.

Certainly Rosewood sounds more lush to me than some other back/side woods, but I'm not sure it's overclocked overtone content people are hearing.

Sometimes it's sustain (useful sustain), or more clarity in trebles…especially with fresh strings, or deeper bass, or more projection, or tone which shifts when volume is added…and these may not even be related to overtone content at all.

When people refer to Rosewood having too much overtone content, I think I know what they mean (which is the important thing if there's to be conversation instead of ranting), and I kind of put it in the same category as saying Mahogany sounds 'dry'.

And come to think of it, I've heard people call lush tone 'wet' tone too. And Chocolaty, and warm, and silky, and lots of names which have little to do with the actual phenomenon under discussion.

At least 'too much overtone content' sounds more scientific than wet or warm or fluffy.

Whatever they hear and dislike about Rosewood, I think I like and appreciate and seek out for guitars I play. I suppose that's part of the reason guitar companies build guitars out of different wood combinations.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…