View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
He is also not shabby on an electric and gets around pretty good on a classical.
He's been a big influence on my finger style playing for years, since Beyond Nature came out. (I think I learned about 60-75% of each song on that album to steal licks). But I actually think he's an even better electric player. Just because of style preference I don't care much for the middling' contemporary AC and new age ethereal music he did for a few years, but when he lights up on rock tunes and jams, like in "Find Me in These Fields," "Sunday's Child" and "Crimson and Blue," he kills. And even going back to the rock stuff he was doing in the 70s.

The trouble with electric guitar is you typically need a band behind you. I think the financial consideration for performance and recording has kept his focus predominantly on acoustic as the sun set on his bigger label recording career. Since then he's found his niche mastering the looper and keeping his shows engaging. But I do still always look out for him sitting in on an electric jam.

I know he's joked that his musician and producer friends are always bugging him to do more electric blues and rock, and I've heard his longtime producer and bandmate Lynn Nichols say the same. I also remember The Edge once said that he wished Keaggy would be more dangerous with his music.