View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 12:50 PM

Yea I'm gonna be a fairly vocal dissenter here

My iPad/Apogee recording setup may well be the best rig I've ever used particularly when it comes to low track count acoustic sessions. Auria (recording software for iPad) is as capable and sophisticated as any music software out there, even for editing. The fact that it's a touch sensitive screen is a game changer. The rig is portable so I can move about the house looking for the best sounding spot to capture acoustic stuff. It's also a non "encumbering" rig that doesn't tether me to a computer, computer keyboard, computer mouse and or interface so streamlining the mic, mic stand and headphones is really easy. I worry far less about headphone cords and mic cables and all else that goes with a standard recording situation since it's so portable and physically flexible. The sessions will save to DropBox. They'll also save to AAF so transferring sessions at a later date to another DAW environment is easy.

Really the only drawback over my bigger rigs (and again this pertains more to low track-count acoustic sessions, as the iPad wouldn't be great for 100+ track situations) is storage must be managed more aggressively as it's finite on the iPad.