View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 11:36 PM

With music emporium nearby, you should find some nice candidates. We do not know if you flatpick or fingerstyle, but thinking with J45 maybe a flat picker?

I like my gibson G-45 studio and it would have that familiar tone and feel to your j 45, but just a bit smaller/thinner, if you can find them. But see if they have the new line gibson just put out, I would like the G-00, but you might like the next size up. All of these are in $1000 range and I bet you would not lose much if they do not work out, they look pretty nice and will be popular for the price and made in gibson factory. But no HS case, just a gigbag and cases are pricey now.

I saw Iris came up by a few folks, you might really like an Iris OG as it has a gibson like tone and feel, but the OG (like a thicker LG) might actually have more volume and range than your J45. I really like my 12 fret OG. It would be in your budget, but you would have a "boutique like" guitar that is not another big factory production line guitar, they are really sweet and quite a lot of guitar for the dollar. But if you like all the shiny gloss finish and fancy appointments, the Iris is not for you.

I think you need to spend some time trying different guitars and sizes as your shoulder might not like an OM or 000 size. Most of us that play fingerstyle seem to agree the 00 is the best compromise in size and tone, but I do like a larger 00 to get a bit more, the Iris OG seems about perfect for me.

If I was gonna buy a nice gibson, taylor or martin, I would buy a nice used one and avoid the big devaluation if I decide to sell it. You pay a lot for the name. For best bang for buck, then check out the Eastmans or larrivee.

If it was me coming from a dread and not really sure, I would buy a really nice $1200 guitar, like an OM size, like the affordable gibson or an eastman and make sure I liked the size, feel and tone so you can have a back up plan in case it is not right later. If that feels too big for your shoulder, then go with 000 or 00. Then you have a nice couch or travel guitar, lol. The K&K sounds better than any UST pickup to my ear and is pretty cheap so even a small guitar can sound very nice for your trio with a preamp and EQ.