View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The better you are, usually, the pickier you are. That's partly how these guys got good :-) I've recorded many people who do multiple takes, any one of which, as a listener, I'd declare "perfect", yet they're not happy. They know some little part didn't come out the way they wanted it to.

Maybe. One advantage to this is that you're still in the same basic mental "space", you're playing at a certain tempo, with a certain feel, and it may be easier to maintain it than if you completely stop and restart. So in that sense, you may be able to keep the same flow going more easily than if you start over. Even mechanically, you won't have moved, so you don't have mic placement issues to deal with. And editing is pretty easy like this, just snip out the part in the middle. I used to try to do it this way, and it works well. More often these days, I do multiple takes, and combine them if necessary. Just a different work flow.
as i read your replies they made sense to me. i guess what's in one's head and what comes out of one's fingers continues to have a significant gap even at chet's level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi mc1...

When I operated an acoustic studio, different musicians responded quite differently, and that showed up in their workflow.

We usually recorded subsequent tracks to an original scratch track recorded by the performer in the tempo and style of the song as perfect as they could make it - till we had enough parts to turn it off.

Some people who came in to add tracks went all the way through then went back and made corrections, whereas others once a mistake was made needed to stop and fix it then or they would flub-up more.

I was flexible enough to go with what helped them be most musical.

Equally competent musicians really can be very different from each other.
hi lj,

i get your point. i can think that my hurdles\obstacles\issues are universal, rather than common.

tell me about the guy who could get a reasonably good single take and leave it at that... i still wonder if that has any merit.