View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 04:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkolu View Post
Archtoplover, Howard Emerson,
Unfortunately cannot go to the tech until next weekend, but I did take a few more shots under the light and added to the album. You can see that it kinda curves but is almost parallel to the grain and there is a Y shape at the end. Let me know what you think.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AGbozP8C3ajMp9mT8
The more I look at the pictures the more it appears to be a fracture in the wood, but only the 2nd picture gives any inkling that it may be just that.

The fact that the line continues past the waist toward the cutaway suggests (to me at least), that it was a 'hidden' fracture in the billet before they started carving.

The bottom line, though, is that it shouldn't be any sort of an issue in practical terms unless you let the guitar get dried out.

A really knowledgeable tech will be able to make a final determination, and it would do no harm to have the inside silked, or whatever is the accepted technique for reinforcing a suspected crack.

For what it's worth, here's my L-5, with many repaired cracks including through the heel & neck block sides, etc!

Howard