View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 02:55 AM

FWIW, I once had a custom guitar built but, upon receipt, was unhappy with the neck measurements (my fault). I asked the maker to replace it (which I paid for) and he did a most excellent job, with one exception: the ebony he used was apparently streaky, which I would have personally had no problem with, but he, or an apprentice, took it upon himself to dye it dark. It's ghastly, at least to me, because the streaks and the surrounding wood took the dye differently. It jumps out like cheap makeup. That being said, my dad was a professional finisher of cabinets and trim back in the day so I may be sensitive to it, but that fretboard looks absolutely terrible.

Never told him, never will, if for no other reason that I am so happy with the sound and playability of the guitar I wouldn't want to have that screwed up. So I let it slide. But it definitely is noticeable, and not in a good way, until you move some distance away.

As for dying rosewood? I don't know, maybe it takes dye better, but I would be more comfortable with the process if the wood was pretty uniform to start with.

Last edited by pgilmor; 01-06-2017 at 03:27 AM.