View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 11:30 AM

I bought a used OF660 and it is only the 3rd CF guitar I’ve ever played. I purchased through forum member Scott (Methos1979) and got a really good deal because of some superficial scratches that occurred. While the scratches were notable they were all on the back and not a dealbreaker by any stretch. Although I posted a NUCFGD after having it for a month I’m responding here because this is is also an OF660 thread that happens to be also a comparison thread.

I used to have a RainSong Shorty and after having owned it for 4 years I put it up for sale. I can’t say the tone was better or worse than the OF660 but I would say that it had pros and cons. My favorite thing about the Shorty is the body size and 12 fret design. It also rang clear and loud- it would not only cut through nicely in an acoustic ensemble but it had a gorgeous unique tone that could carry melody lines in a very noticeable but pleasing way. The thing I found I just couldn’t adapt to (and believe me I tried) was the neck profile. Don’t get me wrong; in some way I loved the strange neck. In the first positions it was one of the most comfortable necks I’ve ever played in 30 years and after a lot of guitars. The problem for me was the profile as I moved up the neck- it was just too girthy to get my lead runs the way I like them.

You don’t really know these things sometimes until you play a different guitar, and along comes the OF660. This neck is much easier to conform to even as you move up the neck. The guitar also offers a deeper bass response paired with a taming is the trebles. However it is way quiet compared the the Shorty and won’t serve as well in an ensemble (although I speculate here since I’ve not tried it).

Anyway, I’ve had the OF660 for about 3 months and it’s a keeper. I did have an idea about how to take care of the finish scratches and took my chances on refinishing it myself. I’m actually a fan of the matte over the gloss finished anyway and converted my Journey to matte- but not without taking advantage of the gloss already provided- take a look at the bevels and the top here

Last edited by steelvibe; 11-23-2018 at 12:39 PM.