View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Sarasin, I don't think you are strange at all, at least no more strange than me ....OK we're both strange, BUT... as performers most would agree that the point of a guitar/mandolin/any chordophone etc., is to project the sound to our audience, but many prefer to enjoy their instruments at home, alone etc.

I have a large antique mirror in my lounge and find it to be a great sound reflector as well as meeting our narcissistic aspects.

I have discovered that some guitars can project well but give the player little feedback, whereas some give a significant feeling/impression of volume and tone to the player but don't project that well.

Also some are VERY directional -
Mando Bobs newest mandolin is a fine instrument , as long as you are right in front of it , whether close or distant, but I have trouble hearing him when we play because as we are both playing right-handedly, he tends to point away from me.

Whilst the best way to understand projection is to ask another musician to play your instrument for you so you can witness it as an audience, but that isn't always possible so a hard reflective surface is a pretty good alternative.

I'd like to read some feedback from luthiers as to why some loud guitars don't project and vice versa.