View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 09:39 AM

I cannot really help you decide, since I have only ever played a McPherson CF in passing while visiting Kramster in Phoenix a couple of years ago. It was quite nice, but I don't remember very much specific. At least I don't recall anything remotely negative -- my attentions were clearly elsewhere. During that visit I had a used X20 en route to home, although I had never actually played one before trying his. My wife ended up getting an X7 Version 2 (forward facing sound hole) after trying one at that carbon fiber gathering too. From all reports here, I'm sure that I would be happy with a Sable too.

At the moment, we own a Composite Acoustics Cargo, Blackbird Lucky 13, Rainsong WS-1000 (older version with the original neck) and several Emeralds ranging from X7 to X30. I also have custom short-scale X20 six string currently in the build queue somewhere, to match my custom X20-12.

What I can say about my X20 is that a buddy and I did a side by side shootout with a custom shop Martin OM-28 in his living room last year. In every way, the Emerald beat that Martin that cost twice as much - tone, loudness, playabilty, and intonation. It wasn't even close, and was even obvious to the non-playing spouses. In fact, he called me up last week to ask about the availability of mine. Not until my custom X20 comes in.....