View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Ex-jamming bud had a U-Bass that he ran through a Fender Rumble 40: got a good sound out of it, but I can come very close with a short-scale (30"+/-) hollowbody and tapewounds, and my fingers don't hang up as they do on the silicone U-Bass strings...
I ordered a Fender Rumble 100 amp this evening, hasn't shipped yet so I am not sure when it will get here.

There seem to be a few more ubass string choices these days including round and flat wound metal wrapped string, two or three black polyurethane variants, the Italian string manufacturer Aquila (I have used their Nylgut banjo strings) now makes Thundergut, Thunder-red, Thunderblack, and Thunderbrown ubass strings which have different textures, diameters, and tensions. I think all of the Aquila strings have higher string tensions and are less sticky than the original black poly strings sold by Kala.

I have ordered a set of Kala round wounds as well as sets of Aquila Thunderblacks and Thunderbrowns to potentially replace the gummy black poly strings that are stock on the model I bought. The Thunderbrowns are the newest variant and have gotten good reviews. I am looking forward to some ubass string comparisons later this year.