View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi JS

Have you been over to the classical part of the forum and asked. They will know if you need anything different, or whether the strings will settle in over time.

I know I love fresh steel strings, but my serious classical playing friends won't change strings within several weeks of a concert, so they can settle-in.

I've played many nylon gigs over the past 33 years. I used to let the strings settle in, but several years ago I just started stringing them up and stretching them very well, and now I'll usually change strings a day or two before a big, with no anxiety over tuning issues. I love the bright, fresh tone and response of brand new strings. I change my strings before every gig these days... regardless of whether I'm playing steel string electrics or acoustics for rock/country gigs, or nylons for flamemco-inspired or classical gigs (though it's been a few years since i've performed classical in public).

Anyways... your post just inspired me to mention that for people who find themselves needing to change nylon strings before a gig. You can just pull up on the strings a bunch of times to pre-stretch them. I would caution those doing so to make sure their tie block technique is secure though. Many years ago I snapped a hole in the finish behind a tie block on a cheap Yamaha classical because I hadn't tied the unwound string very well.