Thread: Comping
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Someone present an example of a finished product of yours where the morphs (cuts) are still reasonably detectible to the listener.
With the "morphing" discussion, I think the focus was video, so it'd be obvious to the "watcher", not necessarily the listener. I can't find one off the top of my head, but I see videos all the time - usually people talking - where the video edits are obvious, characterized by a way-too-sudden movement. Some seem to just make it a feature, not a bug, to have abrupt, obvious cuts. I know I've done this in dialog sections of videos for Acoustic Guitar, where I just wanted to cut a sentence out or something. They used to cross-fade this sort of thing when they did the edits, I tended to just leave them in as jumps when I did the editing - both are quite obvious, but I always took some reassurance that no one was really watching those that closely.

For just audio, with modern tools, the biggest tip off for something exposed like solo guitar is a shift in the stereo image at an edit point, which I have heard even on a few commercial releases, tho I can't name any at the moment. Volume differences between takes are easy to hear as well, tho those are easier to fix than an image shift. For more complex songs with lots of parts, edits to one track will be much harder to notice unless it's really botched.

Back when I did my first solo CD, I had it mastered by David Glaser at Airshow, and I had like 2 or 3 edits on the entire CD. But I was nervous about them. I thought I'd done them well, but I thought surely this professional mastering outfit would notice and laugh at my edits. So I asked, and he assured me he hadn't noticed, and went on to tell me of some famous engineer who had been asked in an interview what a good edit sounded like. He replies "I don't know, I've never heard one" :-)