View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 01:13 PM

Great discussion. I've been going through this a bit myself recently and I guess what I am realizing is it depends on your style of playing each and what level you are. I think the acoustic does wonders for beginners. It allows them to focus on technique, developing strength and music without getting distracted with knobs, tones and gear chasing. Musically both can really benefit each other as you develop musical knowledge.

The problem comes for me in the way each is played. There is not as much crossover as you might think. In a way playing smooth bends with vibrato at the top of the bend is a world apart from flatpicking a bluegrass song. I find that when I'm more focused on my acoustic playing and I go back to electric, my bends are a mess and I have trouble adapting my right hand to the much lighter strings.

I'm currently considering getting a tele and setting it up with 12s and seeing if I find that to be more appealing, but its hard. I'm not gonna get those gilmour bends on a guitar like that!

Gone but not forgotten
Martin 00LX-1
Martin 000m
Martin DM
Martin LXM
Martin LXK2
Seagull SWS Minijumbo
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor GC3
Taylor 324
2002 Art & Lutherie Ami