View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
For full disclosure: I am new to locking tuners; the electric guitar I recently bought has them, and I really like 'em. What I read about using them was: pull the string relatively tight through the post, lock it down, trim the string, and tune... assuming about half around the post to bring the string up to tune.

I would think (and again, I am no expert) that multiple wraps around the post just means you are going to have a lot of tightening to do once you put the neck back on... the wraps are going to loosen when the neck is off. I think the locking tuners on the OF660 are there by design. Just thinking out loud... well, on-line, here.
Jim- my Journey is a 2017 (I think) and back then Journey wasn't shipping with locking tuners. They started shipping with locking proprietary tuners in 2020 but I was able to buy them aftermarket from the Journey site. Honestly I'm kind of disappointed in them. On more than one occasion the locking mechanism, which is not the screw type but "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy" wheels type, has failed to hold my string in place after bringing to pitch and then clipping.

When that has happened I found it a crappy experience to use that same string which is just barely long enough to thread the post and restring. It means less string for the capstan to "bite" onto and more likely I'll stab my finger trying to get it to restring. No thanks! I suppose that with the locking tuners I get a bit of added protection when the neck is disassembled so the strings don't come off the capstans, but it isn't much due to the way I string my guitars (Doyle Dykes method). I've found that that little hook left when the windings are slackened are enough to hold the string in the eyelet and no need for locking tuners (which are also heavier). I honestly wouldn't recommend them but would recommend owners string up the Journey just like any other guitar with regular tuners.

steelvibe had to throw away a whole new set of strings because of not doing wraps. Don't be like steelvibe.

Last edited by steelvibe; 02-22-2021 at 08:08 PM.