View Single Post
Old 04-01-2021, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrectacular View Post
That's interesting! And of course there are many players (Richard Thomson comes to mind) who use the same three but because the index is busy holding a pick.
Yes, except hybrid picking is something I could never do, and still can't.
Although I don't use my index much, it seems silly to tie it up to the thumb just to hold a pick.
When holding a pick, the movement of the other fingers feels awkward. I.e., hybrid picking requires the index to move in the same direction as the thumb, which is often the opposite direction to the fingers. Bizarre!

Obviously, that's just me, and it would have to get easier with practice. I've just never seen the point, personally. Anything a hybrid picker can do, one can do with thumb and fingers - it's only the sound of the pick you miss, and I guess the option of breaking into lines requiring rapid alternate picking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrectacular View Post
Thanks for the replies, all. I just thought it was odd that Grossman said using more fingers "doesn't seem to work" when it seems to work just fine for me... Reminds me of the old saying, "everyone is entitled to their opinions, even if they're wrong."

True! Obviously Grossman is talking from his own experience. That experience is considerable (and authoritative), but he's still just one guy.