View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 09:18 AM
Guitar Gourmet

There's another thing to consider: What is the "0" reference on your DAW? There are different standards. I say this because broadcast level standard is -20db. That is to say, when your meter shows "0," you are actually at '20. When you mix a good mix for this standard it comes out as -24 LUFS, and that is the signal density you seek for legal broadcast. It sounds as if your DAW, or the project setup within the DAW, is set for this standard. You mix reasonably conservatively and end up at -28.

Look into your project setup and check for a master level reference. If you are doing music you can set that to "0." However, I often mix music for broadcast, CD, and streaming. The practice there is to leave the project at -24 and mix the project there. Once you have the project mixed to broadcast standard you can take it into a mastering project and normalize it to full scale and then decide what LUFS you want to master at. Modern typical standard is between -10 and -12 LUFS.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)